title

Photo by Jason DeVarennes

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Shoes!

There are times that it seems I live under a rock. Credit the lack of television.  I seem to miss out on a bit of pop-culture. But thanks to the internet, I know there was a character on TV called Carrie Bradshaw, who seems to really like shoes. From what I can tell, I'm not in her league or anywhere close, but I will admit to being known in some cycling circles for my brown leather cycling shoes. I do love these shoes. They are from a company in the UK called Dromarti. I first saw them in a UK magazine several years ago and lusted after them. Then I saw them in person at NAHBS in Richmond a couple of years ago and had to have them. Sadly they didn't have any in my size at the show, so I couldn't get them on the spot, but I ordered a pair as soon as I got home. They are absolutely gorgeous, especially when freshly polished. And to confuse metaphors, they fit like a glove. They are the most comfortable pair of shoes I own - and given the amount of time I spend in them, that's a very good thing. I've abused them a bit with rain and sun and mud, and they handle it just fine, responding quite well to a little brown shoe polish. However, I have called the line at salt and snow. They are pretty well ventilated, so are great for summer, but I have a dedicated pair of winter cycling boots.

Racing up Mt Equinox with my Dromarti shoes




A little dirty and dusty after D2R2

January came to New England and so did winter... well sort of.... Cold Temperatures have teased us a few times. We had a strange pattern of cold, then mild, then cold, then mild, but a few days ago, cold put on a stronger show of force and has stuck around. What we are missing is snow! These are the boots I should be using at this time of year. But we don't have any snow!



So instead of x-c skiing, I am bundling up for bike rides. Thank goodness for my Lake Winter Cycling boots. I bought mine a few years ago and bragged to John about not even needing overshoes until the temps approach 0 Fahrenheit . He hesitated for a while, but finally broke the piggy bank and is now a convert as well. They are by far the most popular winter cycling shoe among Boston area cyclists. They are pricey, but if you ride in proper winter, they are one of the best investments you can make. Mine are roomy enough for my thick wool socks and insoles. They have a nice thick sole and good insulation and, of course, no ventilation.


In most conditions, I use them alone. But combined with toe warmers and overshoes, they have handled the coldest conditions here in Boston, including temps with minus signs!


So until shorts and brown leather shoe weather returns, and while the snow continues to boycott us, my Lake Winter Cycling boots will be getting plenty of use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

test